Sunday, October 14, 2012

Just when you think...

Just when you think the kids don't care much about what you are saying, that the little things you do don't really matter, you receive an email from one of your students:

Dear Ms killens,
Thanks for your present.When I just started with our foreign teachers,I had wondered if teachers would say "happy birthday"to us.At that time,teachers asked us to write down our birthday,so I hoped that I could receive  the wish from teachers.However it was not happened.You gave me a really surprise.I am really excited and happy,so I decided to write this mail to you.You also give me some suggestions about study.I will try to make me better.
I knew that this presentation I did looked a little bit mess.My persenality is not outgoing.Sometimes I am really silent.I still want to try to push myself out of my comfort zone.Maybe I am not the best one in our class,but I want to do my best.

I'm pretty sure this note made my month. I have been doing some Outdoor Education things with the students, talking about comfort zones, how to set goals, you know, procrastinating on the stuff the Ministry says we have to do. The students haven't provided much feedback, so I've been trusting my intuition, that although they don't mention it, I know that I am making a difference. This particular student is very quiet, I haven't heard much from her in class.  The other day I finally got around to making birthday cards for all of the people whose birthday's I have missed, and her's was one of them.  
So Cheers to all of the hard work we do as teachers, and most times have no idea if we have reached our students, until one little note arrives in your inbox and makes all the difference.  

       "Before I can tell my life what I want to do with it, I must listen to my life telling me who I am." 
~Parker Palmer, ‘Let Your Life Speak’

Thank-you Nick for sending this quote my way!

No comments:

Post a Comment