Monday, October 29, 2012

Finding my way in a Strange place.

Going on two months in Jinhua, I am now having that uncontrollable urge to pack up my bags and head somewhere with clean air (where the sky is blue), easy access to transportation and children who wear diapers.  It would be great to walk the street and run into people who do not spit at your feet,  where excuse me, please and thank-you, and at least polite staring (as oppose to the blinking competitions I have with the locals, I usually win) are something of the norm.

Clean water out of your tap, access to Soy milk, Kraft Dinner, Hot Dogs, Spaghetti, Avocado and all sorts of other random things I really didn't think I would be missing so quickly into my 10 months in China. Erin's cooking, my little bunkey on the lake, Halloween parties with friends, seeing little baby Santiago do all of his firsts this year, Katie's love notes, hugging your Bestie (or 's) whenever you want, or just sitting at home watching t.v eating popcorn, knowing that your Mom is sitting at the kitchen table playing Bubble Witch on Facebook.

I am well aware that when travelling you hit your ups and downs, that sometimes, you just want some normalcy, a bit of back "home" in your life.  This is where I am at.  How do I find my place in a strange city, with very few others to keep in contact with, and still learn and grow for the next 10 months, after all that is what travelling and teaching is about right?

After some reflection, maybe a few wobbly pops and some discussions with new friends, I have found a way to start feeling at "home" in Jinhua.  For those of you who know me, you know I have many different homes, and I try to make wherever I am living, home.

So, step one, make my living space somewhere I want to be. So, I purchased plants, some lamps, speakers for my computer, bath matt to keep my toes warm after a shower, some propane for the stove, an extra duvet comforter, and a yoga matt.  Adding these comforts to my home has made the biggest difference.  This gives me a space that feels comfortable and welcoming.

Next, do not eat fried food anymore, including that from across the road from the school, which is so good.  My stomach issues over the past few days have not been pleasant, but it wouldn't be an authentic experience if I hadn't had some time on the porcelain throne right?

Journaling, getting outside, spending time doing yoga, and blogging have all been ways to make this space my own, to find a way to be Melanie in a place where three million people live in such close quarters, a city that is never quiet, and nature that is hard to find.

For all of the things I miss from Canada, there are many things that I love about China.  Those are the things I remember when I'm feeling down.  Dumplings, spicy food, the kids, teaching, and skyping with friends, receiving letters in the mail and experiencing this new country. Heck, everyone has a bad day right?

I know that I am fortunate to have this opportunity and although some days I just want to get on a plane to somewhere new, I am enjoying my time here, I am learning many things about myself, about a country that I have very little knowledge about, and most importantly about their youth. I am learning the challenges they face and what their goals and aspirations are in a country that gives them limited options, but they somehow they find a way to be who they are, despite higher powers continually trying to take those away from them.

So. There it is. Confessions of a foreign teacher in China.  It is not easy admitting that there are some shitty days here, trying to stay positive all of the time is hard, so I've decided to accept the bad days, and learn from them, move forward and do the best I can, where I am with what I have.


No comments:

Post a Comment