Thursday, November 29, 2012

Brave?

Some some people have said that I am Brave for moving to China, that it is something they wished they had done, or that they could never do.  Either way, I never thought of myself as Brave for packing up and moving to teach and live in China.

Yes, moving to China is a pretty big deal, and getting used to the differences in culture is a bit of a shock.  But, what I have realized, is that the true Bravery comes in when you want to travel outside of the city you live in.  It is so easy to stay in my apartment, take the bus, or cab into Jinhua, hang out with friends at The Red Cactus, Danny's, The Reading Cafe, and I feel pretty safe and secure in this city.  I always know I can find my way home, there is someone to call if I am stuck, and people are generally helpful.  At the same time, there is almost know one in Jinhua who speaks English, but I have never had a real issue with this because I am pretty comfortable in my surroundings.

So. I am going to Shanghai this weekend.  Not a big deal right? It is only a three hour "fast" train ride. And it is a huge city with some people who can speak English, there are English signs, and English speaking tour guides, there are even foreigners around! But this trip has me so nervous! I hadn't realized how much I hadn't pushed my comfort zone in quite some time.  Although I am in a new country, I have found a very comfortable place here in Jinhua, with my regular coffee spot, my regular market, the regular trip to Wal Mart and Century Mart - now I am going to a whole new city!

I have been kind of freaking out a little, printing off maps, getting the pinyon and english translations of the chinese characters, contacting every resource that anyone has ever given me of friends of friends who live in Shanghai "just incase".  I have called the Hostel twice to ensure my reservation is kept until midnight just incase the 35 minutes it says it takes to get there takes me three hours.

My goal is to wander the city, buy some clothes, eat some yummy food and sit in a pub and listen to live music. (and meet up with some pretty awesome people that Corri and Kyra have introduced me to) Take pretty photo's and enjoy a weekend out of Jinhua.  All the rest will come together, right? My hope is that once I arrive in Shanghai, things will be a little easier than I expected.  If not, well, then all my planning has been a good idea!

So, I've put my big girl pants on and I am going to go to Shanghai, I'm going to take in every moment and be Brave. The easiest thing to do would be to stay in my apartment (which would make my Dad happy!) and enjoy a wonderful weekend of planning and doing way to much work, but, isn't there some quote about if it scares you you should definitely be doing it? Well, here I go!

No matter where we are in the world, wherever you live, it doesn't have to be in a different country, we get into our comfort zones so easily.  I challenge you to take a risk, it might be changing up what you had for breakfast, or something bigger, like taking that vacation you always said you would (to China to visit me obviously). But I hope you get out there! Challenge yourself and do something that scares you! Adventure and growth begins at the end of our comfort zone. Thank-you to all of you who have inspired me to get out there, and push my limits.  

2 comments:

  1. Hi there Melanie
    Wow, what a neat adventure you are going on. I am sure that you will make out fine. I just cannot imagine all of the countless numbers of people living in China. I hope that you get out to the countryside one some of your trips. From TV shows, esp Oasis and Nat'l Geo. there is some pretty spectacular scenery and also many different rural cultures to explore. It might even be like rural Manitoulin!!!!
    Have a great weekend- which will probably be over when you get this, and of course keep up the wonderful teaching.
    Love Patfromnextdoor.

    ReplyDelete