Thursday, January 31, 2013

Travelling Alone in China

Shanghai Railway Station
YIKES! It has been so long since I have blogged. I have been on holidays for at least six days now, adventuring in Shanghai and Beijing. I was really regretting not going to Thailand, just as everyone said I would, until I was on The Great Wall of China. What an amazing experience. BUT. Let me start from the beginning.

My holiday started off pretty great. Everyone told me that travelling during the Chinese New Year would be INSANE. What I can say is that it has been AWESOME. Maybe because I have been travelling on the faster trains, or because I just have good luck, but it has been a pretty smooth ride so far. Fingers Crossed! I still have to get home!

Rooftop Patio - Shanghai
I never imagined that I would be travelling in China as a solo traveller.  I had some pre-conceived notion of the type of person that would be able to travel in China alone, and in my mind they were amazing, resourceful, and crazy! I never thought that I could do this on my own. With a little bit of preparation, and help from others, travelling in China is possible on your own. If I can do it, YOU can do it. David, a friend from Banff, gave me the motivation I needed to just get out there and experience it. So thank-you David!

My first stop was a hostel in Shanghai that a friend recommended - Le Tour Rest Youth Hostel. After a bit of an adventure finding the place, and being a little sketched out by the alley in which it resides, I found a little piece of solitude in this big city. I met some new people (one of which returned my wallet that I lost in the washroom, yes first night and already lost my wallet), had some amazing adventures, spent some time in Cloud 9 Bar in The Hyatt Hotel, drank in the view a long with a few pints, had a magician entertain us at our table, saw The Bund at night, spent some time on a rooftop bar taking in the view and generally lounging around Shanghai. Toured the Gardens, the market, got lost, got found and spent a lot of money! (so much for saving on this trip...).


Next, off to Beijing. On the fastest train I have ever been on! 300km's an hour! Can you believe it?! Five hours from Shanghai to Beijing. I arrived here and popped out of the subway wanting to go right back home. I know most of you have heard of the pollution which is covering Beijing right now, and believe me, you cannot imagine what it is like until you are breathing it in and looking at it in your face. I had to keep a positive attitude and remember I am here for six days and to experience what I can.




Literally hanging on!!
My first thought was how much it was going to suck at the Great Wall because there would be no view. Alas, I decided that I would book my tour anyways. Best decision so far. What a beautiful view on a crisp winter day. It was SO icy. We had to literally hold onto the wall to slowly make our way up the steep parts slipping and sliding away. It was totally worth the effort. As any adventurer does, we decided the best way down was on our butts. Holy moly, you can pick up speed on the wall sliding on the icy surface! What a great way to spend the day, sliding on The Great Wall of China! Seriously!! The only way to finish off any adventure is with a beer. Enjoying a frosty beverage standing on a wall that is visible from Space, and that so many Chinese people died to build is quite an experience. Our tour guide told us that the people who died at The Great Wall are buried right within the wall. This is an experience that I didn't know would effect me so much. To be standing in a place many will only see in photographs is quite humbling.



To end the day I booked an acrobatic show just down the road from my hostel.  WOW! Definitely worth it. There were no photographs aloud unfortunately, BUT - there was this clown at the beginning of the show, making balloon animals and such, well if he didn't find me in the audience and pull me up on stage. They counted down from 10 in English - then I had to take this big hammer looking thing and hit some sort of button, as soon as I did, smoke went off, people cheering, and BAM the show had started. There I was on stage with some random clown who was holding an umbrella over my head with an audience staring at me. Amazing experience.

I have five days left in this city, and the sun is out there somewhere, the pollution today seems a little less, so time for more adventures. This city has so much to offer, so many sights to see, so I'm off to breathe in the fresh air, meet some new people and experience what I can while I am here. Travelling alone is scary, sometimes nerve wracking, but most of all it somehow humbles you, makes you realize that you are very tiny in this very big world and definitely not invincible. I have been learning to rely on myself more than ever, follow my instincts and ask to ask for help. Most of all remember to always have your hostels card on you!! AHHH! (that is a whole other story). I hope you enjoy the photo's. I miss all of you terribly! Sending lots of love and big hugs. xoxo

The Bund at night....beauty!


This is what I saw when I arrived in the alleyway to my hostel...gah!!!
Our amazing Magician


Billy from the UK and Matt from Amsterdam/France


Yes I did find a Sushi Train...YEOW!

Gardens

How do they know?!
I guess they look happy?!!


Shanghai - Market




Stairwell at The Hyatt - Awesome!



Love!


Rooftop Patio on The Bund - Shanghai

New Friends.

Malabar Shanghai

Super Fast train from Shanghai - Beijing



Our group for The Great Wall



Cheers!!


2 comments:

  1. Hey Melanie- what an amazing Blog and the photos were great. The Great Wall experience will be one to treasure, I am sure. We have heard about the smog and also a billionaire making more $$$$ by selling canned fresh air. Go Figure. Have you been yet to see a chef make noodles- a few twists and bang you get spagetti- remember Marco Polo. When Mat was there he found some little kid to take him to a real noodle shop and it was just about the highlight of his time there. See if you can do this. I hope you post more as I will never get to do these wonderful things except vicariously through other people. enjoy and keep safe.
    Love Patfromnextdoor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Melanie - enjoyed this post and going through the others on your blog. You have a good story-telling ability. And photo skills:) Keep us posted on your journey - keep blogging, keep writing!! Keep story-telling :)

    ReplyDelete