Thursday, December 27, 2012

Lost in jINhua

So. I have kept this little secret since I have been in Jinhua. The only people who know about this secret are the ones who have been living with me here in China. This is kind of a new thing for me, and I'm not proud of it, but tonight, this new little secret, turned a girl who was ready to go home, into a girl who is excited about living here for the next six months.

You ready? Dying to hear this dirty little secret I have been keeping. Okay. Here it is. I lose stuff. Yes. I loose things. My wallet. My bank card, my pin number, my phone, my keys, my bus ticket, my hair ties, my bike, my bike key, my sweater, my earrings, seriously, the list does not stop. I LOSE THINGS!! All of the time. This has never been a problem before. Seriously. (unless my mind is playing tricks on me, then please let me know if I have lost these many things before). Until tonight, I had figured that this was just a new development in getting older. My mom says that she cannot remember things, maybe I am just starting to loose things (I am turning 33 soon).

So. Christmas Eve. Just like any other day of the week, well not really it is Christmas Eve. So, know one from work wants to go out, I decide to go out on my own. I have no idea where the night will lead, which is so exciting right!. I meet up with some people I had met before, everything seems very normal.  We go to this new bar I have never been to, called The Red Door. (at least I think it is called that...). We have fun, drink some beer, meet some people, and then it happens. I'm in the cab, on the way home, and, cannot find my phone. Again.  SO LAME, I think. Not again. In all honesty, the phone is a piece of S*%T! so I am not too worried, I decide that I will ask one of my co-workers who sings at this bar to text and see if I happened to have left it there....duh duh duhhhhhhhhhhhh......

I know. The anticipation is killing you right now. Turns out my phone is at the bar!! YEAH!!! The problem is, this bar is located in an awkward part of town that is impossible to explain in Chinese, let alone English, so I decide to wait until someone else can bring it to me, this part of the story is not that important, what is important is that today I decided to find the phone on my own. (may not seem like much of a big deal, but it really is!)

I get the directions to this place, not before I ask our secretary Harriet to call and find out when it opens, if my phone is there and to write down on a piece of paper that I am looking for my phone in Chinese, and decide to head into town-on the bus. I would like to remind you, that in Canada, all you would have had to do is call the bar, get in your car, and drive there, pick it up and DONE. But anyways, I digress...I go to Danny's Cafe first, because I am hungry and really want some foreign food, and to my amazement, Danny is there! Yeah! Danny is the wonderful owner of Danny's Cafe, and it is always awesome to see him there.

This is where my time in Jinhua turns around. I arrive, wet (because it is raining) and unsure if I will actually get my phone back later in the night. When my food comes out (I ordered a pesto chicken panini) it comes with a piece of BRIE!!!! AND THE MOST YUMMY HOMEMADE POTATO SALAD I have ever tasted. These things don't normally come with the food, apparently I just have some sweet connections with the owner. This is a BIG deal here in Jinhua. CHEESE! I know I don't eat much diary, but I have a soft spot for BRIE!! Danny, his girlfriend and I get to talking, and he says, "Melanie, we are your friends here, text, call, we always go out for drinks or dinner after ten when the restaurant closes, we would love to hang out with you."

Insert Melanie's heart melting and getting very excited at the prospect of having friends in Jinhua. He then made me a cup of coffee, flavoured with vanilla because I had told him about the coffee my Mom had sent... (which you may think is not a big deal, but coffee is a rare commodity here in China!) and with a heart filled with love and happiness, (and maybe some wine - GOOD wine!) I was then on my way to find my phone. Heart Happy, and ready to find this bar that is impossible to explain.

I arrived at The Red Door with relative ease.  I walk in, and say in English, that I am looking for my phone - THEY UNDERSTAND!! Not only does the owner understand, but after she graduated high school in Jinhua, she went to school in New Zealand, so she understands English, and is absolutely wonderful to talk to.  The owners are kind, thoughtful, and I'm pretty sure I am going to have her in as a guest speaker in my classroom  - I FOUND A GUEST SPEAKER FOR MY STUDENTS IN CHINA!! AWESOME.  And the part of the story that is least important now, they had my phone.

I realize I have picked up a serious habit of losing things here in China. I'm not sure why, or what the purpose of all of it is, but tonight it was clear that losing my phone put me out of my comfort zone to go out and find it, to explore and take a chance, meet new people, make new friends and even if they hadn't had my phone, an ordinary Thursday turned into an extraordinary Thursday.  I made new friends, just at the time when I needed it most. The Universe has a way of giving us what we need, and I needed today. So Cheers to trusting your intuition, following your heart, and taking a chance, because all I really wanted to do at the end of my day was curl up under my heating blanket, with my hot water bottle, and the heat on and sleep - if I had done that, I would have missed out on the opportunity to meet new people, make new friends, and oh- find my phone ;).

5 comments:

  1. I'm still curious....about all the lost stuff. Perhaps you are keyed in on so many things that are NOT normal and everyday to you that you just forget the normal and everyday things like taking your keys out of the door after you open it:) reading your blog brought back memories for me of being in a different country, not knowing what was right or wrong or what the heck they were saying....46 years ago today our family arrived in Amsterdam from Edmonton and then drove to the Hague to make our home for 3 years. They spoke a lot more English than you get to hear...even in 1966...and we got to stay in a hotel across the street from the Canadian Embassy for 10 days waiting for a flat but the feelings at this time of year of being an "expat" are like none you will ever have again. Cherish the experiences, the people, the feelings because this is like no other time in your life! When you get home and look back you will understand...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not unknown........Holly Wilcox!!!!

      Delete
    2. Holly that is SO Awesome. I had no idea that you had lived in Hague for three years. Thank-you for your wonderful note, it really made my day, and I am also wondering about my new hobby of loosing things, I think I will take your theory :). Lots of love and hugs your way, I miss you guys like crazy! xoxo

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and I am curious about my new hobby of loosing things toooo!

    ReplyDelete